Long-range shooting is becoming more popular as the years passes by. This has prompted a lot of firearms and optics companies to develop products with high-end features that provide a lot of ways for you to accurately hit your target even from long and extreme ranges. However, amidst the features and benefits of these rifles and rifle scopes, it is still best to continue learning how to improve your shooting by knowing these long range rifle shooting techniques that this article will discuss.
Essential Techniques to Know
Own the Rifle and be Comfortable with It
Everyone should be aware that shooting a gun is not just placing the rifle on your shoulder and directing your eyes and head behind the optic. It is more on controlling the arm and establishing a consistent attachment to the rifle and being comfortable with it. Thus, it is important to know the following the guided steps:
• Get a gun that has tactical stocks which permit a practical and quick length of pull and cheek rest adjustment. This will make the shooter completely comfortable.
• Before getting in shooting position, adjust the bipod or the shooting rest to achieve a consistent weld to the gun and increase scope shadowing.
Avoid Parallax Issues
When the objective of your scope and the reticle are not on the same focal plane, a lot of major problems arise that affects your long-range shooting. So, it is important to adjust the objective and the reticle beforehand to decrease or eliminate parallax errors.
Adjust for a Clearer Eyepiece/ Ocular
The ability for you to adjust your reticle to a clearer and focused one on being able to achieve precise shot placement is very necessary. To be able to do this, check the following pointers:
• Using the ocular adjustment, focus the reticle on a plain background such as a wall or the sky.
• Make sure that you are not looking at the reticle while adjusting since your eyes will be making adjustments as well.
• Dial a quarter of a turn until the reticle is bright and crisp.
Overcome the Wind Drifts
Changes in the terrain and the air current are one of the most consistent challenges in long range shooting since this will result for the bullet to drift off target. To be able to address this, check out the following steps:
• Check the area surrounding your target through your scope to determine the wind speed.
• Check the grass and dried leaves if the wind somehow moves them.
• Look for any small indications in the surrounding which will give an idea as to the state of the wind.
• You can also use mirage that is visible to a high-power optic that will allow you to read the wind near the target. This will help you determine how far off to the side you must aim.
A lot of scopes are available in the market and getting just anything expensive does not guarantee accurate shooting. It is still very vital to know how your scope works and which scope will help you shoot the target more comfortably. Also, it is also crucial to select a scope with a turret that has an elevation that will allow you to take shots at long ranges and a zero-stop feature that will automatically reset the turret.
Understanding how your scope works will also increase your confidence in shooting and will allow one to be comfortable while shooting.
Proper Body Positioning and Breathing
Proper positioning of the body to make sure that the spine is parallel to the axis of the bore of the rifle is also imperative since it allows you to handle recoil effectively. It will also help you do follow-up shots if needed since the gun is pushed straight back into the shoulder and the muzzle moves straight up. Spreading your legs apart also aids in stabilizing the shooter.
Shoot on the Respiratory Pause
Shoot on the respiratory pause on the down breath. This is done by taking three deep breaths and make sure to let all your air out on the last exhale taking into account the first 3 seconds pause which is the time where a shooter should take her shot.
Long range shooting is something that should be learned and consistently practiced. It is always best to continue learning and practicing to enhance your shooting skills and to be familiar with your firearms and the scopes. This way, you will discover new things about your equipment and be comfortable with them in the long run.
All in all, we have already provided you the best and most effective steps and techniques for you to enhance your long range shooting. Rest assured that these techniques are 100% guaranteed to be effective if religiously followed and learned.
About the author :
Kevin Steffey is an avid hunter and freelance writer, the founder of Deer Hunting Field. He loves spending time in the field with his rifle more than almost anything else. He also occupies his off-time discussing deer and their habits online. But more than anything, he wants to teach and educate about hunting …