Welcome to the Neighborhood
I have been going to Fred’s Sport and Furniture (off 301 route Crain Highway, Waldorf, MD) for a few years. I went for the fishing supplies. They had the best selection of fishing supplies around. They also used to sell cowboy apparel along with country styled pine furniture.
Well, stop the presses; today they have a new indoor gun range where the ugly furniture and storehouse used to be. It has been open for a few weeks now but was my first time there since it has opened.
It is a really nice range with a lot of sound baffles, a good air handling system and touch pad controls for target use. The lane controls were easy to figure out and the owner was there to personally show me how to use the system.
It was actually entertaining to watch that dude work. He was everywhere. I saw him teach a new shooter how to load a rental gun. I watched him with a power drill and a ladder. Later he was behind the counter helping with paperwork for a new gun. He made me tired watching.
Before being allowed to utilize the range I had to read the safety rules, sign and initial a document acknowledging that I would follow all the rules and then watch a 8 minute safety video from the National Sport Shooting Foundation.
I wanted to test a new Advantage Arms .22 caliber conversion kit for my LoneWolfDist.com .40 caliber Glock clone, so I took a box of Remington .22 rounds I bought from LuckyGunner.com, and loaded my range bag. When I got there I found out that you can’t use your own ammo. I shot a box of 50 rounds of Remington .22 cal. that cost me $4.99. To rent a lane it cost $15. To rent a firearm, I think it is $20 (I have to double check this)
Here are a couple of points that some may have issues with.
- Spank brand new range, good air quality, no lines, and safety conscience staff
- Sound wise, you won’t be next to a guy with a hand howitzer. You can only shoot handguns and rifles with like .22, and .223 , basically small arms ammunition only.
- They don’t have Glocks to rent yet but a fairly diverse assortment of guns to rent.
- Spank brand new range- staff will be anal retentive about you shooting up their range. No better way to get booted from a facility is to shoot up the target system, shooting into the ceiling baffles, be disrespectful of someone’s stuff.
- You have to use their ammo. It’s not just to make money; it is safer. Who knows what folks are doing when they roll their own. It also controls and protects the backstop from the unknown.
- No shotguns, you can only use .22, .223 rifles or basically small arms ammunition only. You can’t shoot your howitzer.
All in all, I had a great time. Service was excellent. Conditions excellent. The facility is great.
I am sure I am missing something, but I just wanted to get in as soon as I could. It was a good way to celebrate the New Year for me. If you are in the Maryland, DC area, check it out for yourself. The next time you go, send me an email or call to see if we can meet there.
If you visit Fred’s Sports’ new indoor range or store, please let Chuck at the range counter or Joe the owner, know you heard about it from Kenn Blanchard. If enough Urban Shooter fans speak up, maybe they’ll consider sponsoring us. Thanks.
Rev. Kenn Blanchard, internet radio broadcaster, online advertiser, veteran, concealed carry activist and harley davidson motorcycle enthusiast shares whats on the minds of hunters and concealed carry permit holders. http://blackmanwithagun.com